In January of this year, I went to Kuwait with director Fawaz Al-Matrouk to complete photography for the film "To Rest In Peace". We shot the majority of the film in Southern California, duping air force bases, homes, and beaches for authentic Kuwaiti locations. Because traveling was a significant theme for the film, we went to the small, nearly deserted island of Failaka (about 20km off the mainland). Captured by the Iraqi army and deserted by its citizens almost 20 years ago, this island was a ghost town that served as an ostensible back lot for both our driving plates and b-roll. Untouched since the invasion, abandoned police stations were still covered with bullet holes and shell casings, cars were still parked in driveways, and the cats roamed free.
Below is a link to a montage of the footage we captured in our few days on the island. As we were leaving, we learned that demolition of the town would begin the very next day. As Fawaz says, "Failaka had remained until that moment an island frozen in time." Enjoy.
The video features the original song "Salamun Salam", scored for the film by composer Leah Curtis. It was recently nominated for an award at the 2010 Hollywood Music in Media Awards.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades